Chicken Tenders Masala
- Yield: 4 - 6 servings
- Dahl (lentil) Curry:
- 1cup red lentils (red dahl) *regular brown lentils may be substituted if red are not available
- 1/4cup clarified butter
- 1 1/2teaspoons Garam Masala spice blend
- 1teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4teaspoon fenugreek
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4teaspoon fresh grated ginger or ginger paste
- 2teaspoons mild yellow curry powder
- 2teaspoons spicy red curry powder
- 2cups chicken stock or broth
- -- salt to taste
- 1/4cup yogurt
- 1teaspoon lime juice
- -- caramelized onions (1/2 cup sliced onions cooked in 2 teaspoons clarified butter)
- -- lime wedges and grape tomatoes for garnish
- Chicken Tenders Indienne:
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1tablespoon clarified butter or vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon garlic paste
- 4ounces plain yogurt
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup honey
- 1/4teaspoon grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1teaspoon mild yellow curry powder
- 1teaspoon spicy red curry powder
- 1/4teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon garam masala spice blend
- 16-- chicken tenders (or about 2 pounds)
For Dahl Curry:
Soak lentils in warm water to cover for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and drain again.
Meanwhile, as lentils soak, prepare the following:
Heat ghee or clarified butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the garam masala, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and fenugreek stirring until spices begin to have a nice aroma. Add the onions cooking and stirring until they have turned a deep golden color. Add the garlic, ginger and curry powders stirring and cooking until mixture has formed what looks almost like a thick paste. Stir in chicken stock and drained lentils. Taste liquid for salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until very tender, mashing up the lentils slightly with the spoon. (Cook about 45 minutes) Mixture should have the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Stir in yogurt and lime juice.
As lentils cook, prepare caramelized onions cooking until golden brown and broil chicken as follows.
Prepare marinade by combining the lime juice, butter/oil, garlic, yogurt, salt, honey, ginger, curry powders, cumin and garam masala in a small mixing bowl. Brush the mixture over all sides of the chicken and lay on foil-lined shallow baking pan.
Place under broiler, turning with tongs after 5- 6 minutes. Cook about 10 – 12 minutes or until juices run clear.
To Serve and Garnish:
Spoon the dahl curry onto serving platter and top with caramelized onions. Arrange chicken tenders on top. Serve with lime wedges and garnish with grape tomatoes.
Makes 4 – 6 servings