Chicken Rellenos with Roasted Pepper Cream
- Yield: 6 servings
- 6large poblano chilies
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3cups shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed)
- 1cup shredded Manchego cheese
- 2tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Cilantro for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4teaspoon cumin
- 3/4cup heavy cream
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt or to taste
- Place oven rack in top position and preheat broiler. Rub poblano chilies, red bell peppers and jalapenos with olive oil; place on a baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until skin begins to blister on all sides, about 15 minutes. Immediately place in large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit 10 minutes. Peel poblanos, bell peppers and jalapenos. Cut poblanos along one side, leaving stem and tip intact, and remove core and seeds. Remove stem and seeds from bell peppers and jalapenos; chop and set aside for sauce.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine chicken, Manchego, onion, oregano and salt. Fill chilies with chicken mixture and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Spoon Roasted Pepper Cream Sauce onto a serving platter. Arrange chicken stuffed poblanos on top, garnish with cilantro and serve.
- To make Roasted Pepper Cream Sauce, add reserved red peppers and jalapenos, garlic, cumin and cream to a blender; blend until just smooth. Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add flour and cook and stir 2 minutes. Whisk in cream sauce from blender and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.