Chicken Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Yield: 4 servings
"I found this clipped magazine recipe in my mother's diary that she left behind but don't remember her ever making it. It didn't say what magazine it was from so I can't give credit to anyone but whenever I make this delicious recipe I say, 'Here's to you Ma.'"
- 2medium acorn squash (about 1 1/4 pounds each)
- 12ounces ground raw chicken
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 5-ounce container light semi-soft cheese with garlic and herb
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup corn bread stuffing mix or 2 tbl fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tbl reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- Halve squash lengthwise. Remove seeds; discard. Place squash, cut side down, in a 3 qt rectangular baking dish. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook chicken, onion and garlic till chicken is browned and onion is tender; drain off fat. Stir in vegetables, cheese and salt.
- Turn squash cut side up and spoon in chicken mixture. Bake, loosely covered, 20 minutes more until squash is tender and filling is heated through. Stir together stuffing mix or crumbs and melted margarine; sprinkle over filling. Bake, uncovered, 3 minutes more.