Chicken Stew with Green Beans
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 4small onions, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2pounds chicken thighs, skin removed
- Handful thyme sprigs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2pounds red bliss potatoes, washed and quartered
- 2 handfuls green beans, trimmed
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- In a large pot, combine onions, garlic, carrots, chicken and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Add cold water to cover. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Skim and discard any scum that may come to the top. Simmer until the meat of the chicken falls off the bone with almost no pressure from a fork, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken pieces to a plate. Use 2 forks to separate the meat from the bone. Add the meat back to pot. Add the potatoes, cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Add green beans, then cook until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.