- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 105 mins
Pasta and a red sauce with chicken, mushrooms and cheese.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium (or 1 large) yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces crimini (brown) mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano or 2 heaping teaspoons dried
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 4 cups chopped Italian plum tomatoes, with their juices
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small to medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cayenne pepper or hot pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound diced or shredded cooked chicken, light and dark meat
- 1 pound hot, cooked spaghetti or thin spaghetti
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 pound freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 pound whole-milk mozzarella, coarsely grated
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they are opaque and firm, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and sauté until fragrant, about half a minute.
- Add wine and bring to boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring until smooth. Add bay leaf and season with salt, pepper and a pinch or so of cayenne pepper or pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer slowly until sauce is thick and flavors are well blended, 1 to 2 hours. Stir in cooked chicken, heat through, then turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole with olive oil.
- Add cooked spaghetti to sauce, and toss until evenly coated and well mixed. Moisten with a cup or so of chicken broth as needed. Add half the Parmigiano and mozzarella and toss. Pour into baking dish, smooth the top, and sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese. Bake until hot, bubbly and golden on top, about 30 minutes.
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler.