Chicken Soup with Zucchini and Couscous
- Yield 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 18 ounces skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium zucchini, about 1 lb.
- 1/2 cup instant couscous
- 16 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1) Put the oil in a deep heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cut chicken into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes. Add to the skillet, raise the heat to high, stir once or twice.
2) While the chicken browns, peel,and roughly chop the onion. Add the onion, cumin, ginger, and paprika to the skillet. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth to the skillet, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cover and bring to a boil, about 2 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, trim the ends from zucchini and slice in half lengthwise. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide half moons. When the soup comes to a boil, add zucchini, couscous and drained chickpeas to the skillet, stir, and cover until the soup returns to a boil. Then lower the heat slightly and simmer for 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the 1/4 c. chopped cilantro. Stir into the soup, cook for 1 minute and serve immediately.