Thai Ginger Chicken Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 3cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (1-inch) knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2tablespoons fish sauce
- 3tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 1/2pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, including some tender green tops
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1cup thinly sliced sugar snap peas
- 1 1/2cups frozen corn kernels
- Thai red curry paste
- Lime wedges
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the coconut milks, broth, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, and zest in a large soup pot, heat to medium-low, and add the chicken. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors have melded.
- Stir in the mushrooms, scallions, cilantro, snap peas, and corn. Bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook just until the snap peas are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- At the table, add curry paste to taste (start with ¼ teaspoon or less per serving) and garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
Recipe from Soup Night: Recipes for Creating Community Around a Pot of Soup (2013, Storey Publishing)