Chicken, Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- Yield 8 servings
This gumbo has it all--lots of seasoning as well as chicken, shrimp and sausage.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 (16-ounce) package low-fat smoked sausage
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 6 cups cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place 1 cup flour on a baking sheet with a rim and bake 35 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until it is dark brown but not burned.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute celery, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the remaining flour with the pepper and cayenne pepper. Coat the chicken with flour mixture and add to same pot, cooking until chicken is brown 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a pot of boiling water 5 minutes to remove any excess grease. Drain, slice and set aside.
- To browned chicken, add water, chicken broth, basil, oregano, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and cook 15 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Lower heat, add shrimp and reserved sausage; continue cooking until shrimp are done, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard. Add green onions, heat 1 minute, and serve over the rice in bowls.