Chicken and Sausage Risotto
- Yield: servings
- 4-- fresh chicken thighs
- 1-- link mild Italian sausage (fresh)
- 5cloves fresh garlic
- 2 to 3-- tablespoons olive oil
- 1cup arborio rice
- 2cups chicken stock
- 1cup white wine
- 3/4cup freshly grated parmesean cheese
- Skin and trim chicken thighs and cut into nickel-sized pieces. Remove sausage from casing and break into bits. Lightly brown sausage until grease has been released and add chicken, stirring until done. Remove chicken and sausage mixture with slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
- Add enough olive oil to easily cover the bottom of the pan. On low heat, add 5 minced cloves of fresh garlic. Do not let garlic brown, but when you can smell its aroma, add 1 cup arborio rice and stir, letting each piece of rice get covered with oil, and picking up any pieces of browned sausage and chicken left in pan. Add 1 cup white wine and stir over medium-low heat, letting wine abosrb into rice. When nearly all absorbed, add 2 cups chicken stock, 1/2 cup at a time, letting each 1/2 cup absorb nearly completely before adding the next. Continue stirring througout process. Rice will have become creamy – its consistency and taste are somewhere between rice and pasta. Don't rush the process. When done, add chicken and sausage, stir gently and top with freshly grated parmesean cheese.