Chicken, Sausage and Seafood Gumbo
- Yield: 12 servings
For a taste of New Orleans, stew up a pot of delicious gumbo, loaded with chicken, seafood, and andouille sausage!
- Seasoning mix:
- 1 1/2teaspoons each: salt, paprika, thyme leaves, garlic powder, ground black pepper, dry mustard, sugar
- 3/4teaspoon each: ground cumin, white pepper, onion powder
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 8cups water or chicken broth
- 8ounces precooked andouille sausage
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 2cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2cups chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1cup chopped celery
- 1/2cup chopped parsley
- 1pound crab meat and shrimp (total)
- Combine ingredients for seasoning mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven. Add chicken. Sauté until browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pan to a large saucepan, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Add 8 cups water to cover chicken and simmer 1 hour. Drain, reserving stock. Bone chicken, reserving meat.
- Add sausage to reserved drippings, and sauté until browned. Remove sausage, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add enough oil to drippings to equal about 1/2 cup. Heat and add flour 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until smooth. Cook roux, stirring constantly, until browned and a deep caramel color, 5 to 6 minutes. Add onion, pepper, celery, parsley and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix. (You’ll have about a half cup of seasoning mix left over.) Whisk well and cook 10 minutes.
- Add reserved stock, whisking well and cook 20 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, sausage and seafood and cook 10 minutes.
Wine Pairing: This high-spirited bowl of fun calls for a wine with fruit and refreshment. Reach for delightfully inexpensive bottles of Riesling from Chateau Ste. Michelle, Hogue, and Columbia Crest, generally around $10 or under.—Wini Moranville, Relish wine columnist
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 225
- Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 540mg
- Carbohydrate 9g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 15g