Chicken, Sausage and Pepper Rice
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 35 mins
Peppers and tomatoes round out this meaty one-dish meal.
Browning the sausage is a very important step. Do not skip this step; it gives the dish the proper body, taste and texture.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces kielbasa smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 8 frozen chicken tenders, about 1 pound total
- 12 ounces frozen pepper stir-fry or 2 1/2 cups chopped red and green pepper and 1 cup slivered onion
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, optional
- 1 teaspoon Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Place a Dutch oven over medium high heat until hot. Add oil and tilt pot to coat bottom. Add sausage and cook 5 minutes or until beginning to brown on edges, stirring frequently. Add chicken, pepper stir-fry, tomatoes, water, rice, Worcestershire and thyme. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and mixture has thickened, stirring midway.
- Remove from heat and add salt and parsley, if desired. Cover tightly and let stand 15 minutes to absorb flavors. Serve with hot pepper sauce.
Recipe by Nancy Hughes.