Chicken Salad with Grapes and Almonds
- Yield: 8 servings
'This salad is great to take to any gathering. It can be served as a sandwich, with crackers, on a lettuce leaf, or in a wrap with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. Sliced avocado adds great flavor either in the wrap or on the side.'
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4cups salad dressing or mayonnaise
- 3 to 4medium celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2cups seedless grapes, cut in half
- 2cups sliced almonds, lightly toasted, if desired
- 2 to 3tablespoons sugar, optional
- Place the chicken in a Dutch oven. Add enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Drain well, cool, and shred. Do not chop.
- Combine the chicken, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; mix well. Add the salad dressing and toss to coat completely. Add the celery, grapes, and almonds; toss to mix well. Add the sugar for a sweeter flavor, if desired.
—Julia Webster, Cadiz, Ky.