Chicken Salad with Carrots and Chives
- Yield 4 servings
Carrots and chives freshen up standard chicken salad for a variation that's wildly popular on Brazilian street corners.
- 3 tablespoons dark or golden raisins
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh chives
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Plump the raisins by soaking them in 1/2 cup warm water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate the carrots on the largest holes of a box grater; you should have about 1 cup grated carrots. Place the carrots in a bowl.
- Drain the raisins and add them to the bowl with the chicken mayonnaise, and chives. Season with salt and pepper and mix the ingredients with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the mixture among the bread slices and sandwich them together.
Recipe From My Rio de Janeiro: A Cookbook by Leticia Moreinos Schwartz © 2013 Kyle Books