Chicken Pot Pie with Piecrust Topping
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 50 mins
Who doesn't love this rich winter savory chicken pie with a rolled pie-crust top. It's an absolute crowd pleaser!
Canned broth can be substituted for homemade stock, leftover or store-bought cooked chicken can be used instead of a start-from-scratch uncooked bird, and frozen peas can be added without thawing.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups 2 percent low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth and milk; increase heat, cook, stirring often, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, peas and chicken. Spoon into 13-by-9-inch baking dish or shallow 3-quart casserole dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to about 1-inch larger than baking dish. Place over top of filling; fold edges under to make a hem and press down with fork. Cut vents on top and brush with egg yolk mixture. Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe by Jean Kressy