Chicken and Pasta with Vodka Sauce
- Yield servings
- For the Vodka Sauce
- 1 -- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 -- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 -- onion chopped
- 3 ounces Italian style chicken sausage cut into slices
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed bruised
- 3 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 3 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chili flake
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup cream
- -- oil
- For the Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1/3 inch slices (the short way)
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan
- -- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 -- beaten eggs
- -- oil
- For the Pasta
- 1 pound Penne pasta
- 1 large pot of boiling chicken stock
- -- grated Parmesan
- -- chopped parsley
- -- cream
For the sauce:
Soak the chili flakes in the vodka for about half an hour.
Heat a small amount of oil in the pan and cook the sausage. Add the onion and cook for 3 min. Add the garlic and cook a further two minutes. Add the spices and cook for a minute. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce along with the vodka and flakes. Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. When finishing the sauce lower the heat and add the cream, heating slowly but not simmering.
For the chicken
Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper and parsley.
Heat the oil in a pan. Working in one direction dip the chicken slices into the egg and then into the bread crumb mixture. Cook gently in the oil until golden brown and the chicken reaches and internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from pan and drain on a wire rack. Continue this way until all the chicken is cooked.
For the Pasta
Heat the stock until boiling, add the pasta and cook 10 min. or until aldente. Drain the pasta and place on serving plates. On each plate place a few slices of chicken and cover with the finished sauce. Drizzle each plate with a tablespoon of cream and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan and parsley.