Chicken Paprikash with Yogurt Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 1/2cups dried no-yolk noodles
- -- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-- medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons paprika (sweet Hungarian paprika preferred)
- 1-- medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 4 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides, stirring occasionally. Transfer to plate. Reduce heat to medium.
- In the same skillet, stir together the onion and paprika. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring constantly. Stir in the tomato and broth. Cook for 2 minutes, or until hot.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, onion, and tomato to another plate. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the flour over the broth mixture remaining in the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce has thickened, whisking constantly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and sour cream. Whisk into the sauce. Stir in the chicken mixture. Serve over the pasta.
Reprinted with permission from the American Heart Association’s Low Salt Cookbook, 4th Edition (Clarkson Potter, May 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 238
- Fat 2.0g
- Saturated Fat 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g
- Cholesterol 67mg
- Sodium 108mg
- Potassium 524mg
- Carbohydrate 22g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 31g
- Trans Fat 0g