Chicken and Poblano Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1-- pablano pepper roasted, peeled, de seeded, chopped
- 1/4pound jalapeno peppers
- 1/4cup water
- 6tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2cup onion chopped divided
- 3cloves garlic chopped fine divided
- 1 1/2cups longgrain rice
- 1 1/2teaspoons cumin divided
- 14ounces can fat free chicken broth
- 10ounces water
- 6-- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4teaspoon pepper + additional
- 3/4teaspoon salt + additional
- -- garlic powder to taste
- 2-- 3 squirts worchestershire sauce
- 4tablespoons flour
- 4cups skim milk
- 1cup frozen corn
- 1 1/4teaspoons cayanne pepper
- 3ounces processed cheese (velveeta)
- 1/3cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2-- avacados chopped for garnish
- 1bunch cilantro chopped for garnish
- Place poblano pepper on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil, turning frequently, until pepper is black on all sides. Then, place the poblano in a paper bag for 10 to 15 minutes. Peel, deseed, and chop. Set aside.
- Cut the stems off of the jalapenos. Place in a blender with 1/4 cup water. Puree. Set aside 1 teaspoon of puree. Freeze remaining puree for future use.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch skillet. Add the onions and saute until the onions are clear. Add the garlic during the last 30 seconds of the cooking. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 3 quart sauce pan. Add the rice and 1/2 teaspoon cumin and cook until the rice becomes opaque. Add the 3 cups of liquid, made up of the chicken broth and water, 2 tablespoons of the poblano pepper, and about 1/3 of the onion and garlic mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Place on a foil lined jelly roll pan. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl. Add the Worchestershire sauce and mix. Spoon evenly over the chicken breasts. Broil the chicken breasts on low broil until the juices run clear.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch skillet. Add 4 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon cumin. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat. Add 3 cups skim milk, 2/3 of onion-garlic mixture, 1 cup frozen corn, 1 teaspoon pureed jalapeno, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayanne pepper (to taste). Simmer 3 to 5 minutes, stirring so it won't scorch. Add the two cheeses and stir until they are melted.
Serve the chicken and rice with the sauce served over both. Garnish with the chopped avacado and chopped cilantro.