Chicken Orecchiette with Leeks and Peas
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1pound dry orechiette pasta
- 1 rotisserie chicken, lemon seasoned if possible
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4medium leeks (white and green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1package (10 oz) frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4cup heavy cream
- 1cup grated Pecorino cheese, divided
- 2teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- In a large saucepan, prepare pasta with salted water, per package directions.
- Remove meat from rotisserie chicken, discarding skin and bones. Pull apart or chop meat into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- In another large saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the leeks and season with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 7 to 9 minutes. Add the garlic and peas and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the reserved chicken pieces. Mix in the cream and 3/4 cup of the Pecorino cheese; let simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and return it to its pot. Add the chicken mixture, lemon zest and mint, tossing to combine. Turn the pasta out onto a serving platter, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Pecorino cheese and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve.