Chicken or Turkey Gumbo
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
This gumbo recipe makes great use of any leftover chicken or turkey you may have on hand.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 -- onions, chopped
- 1 -- bell pepper, chopped
- 6 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts liquid (broth or water)
- -- Leftover chicken or turkey
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can tomatoes (diced okay but not crushed)
- 6 -- bay leaves
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 -- (16-ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- Place the oil and flour in a Dutch oven and brown until the flouri s dark brown, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Add the onion, bell pepepr and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Add the liquid, meat, tomatoes and bay leaves and mix well. Add the salt and pepper. Simmer the gumbo for two or more hours and add the okra. Cook until the okra is tender.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Telephone Pioneers of America’s Calling All Kids (Telephone Pioneer of America, Alabama Chapter #34, Birmingham, Al., 2002).