CHICKEN OLIVE GINGER SOUP
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 minutes
- Cook 20-30 minutes
- 40 fluid ounces NO SALT chicken stock
- 1.5 cups very mild chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1.5 tablespoons grated fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 ounces CALIFORNIA MEDIUM PITTED BLACK OLIVES
- 1 small store bought rotisserie chicken
- 2 small firm zucchinis
- 8 ounces frozen petite corn
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
In a Dutch oven combine chicken stock, salsa, ginger, rosemary, garlic, sugar, olives and 1/4 cup of olive juices from can. Bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile skin and bone chicken. Add large leg bones and backbone to Dutch oven and simmer along to make broth richer. Cube 4 cups chicken meat and set aside.
Wash zucchinis, trim ends. Do not peel. Using a vegetable peeler make thin zucchini ribbons,and set aside.
When broth has simmered 20 – 30 minutes, fish out bones. Add chicken meat, zucchinis and corn. Cook over medium heat about 4-5 minutes or until corn and zucchinis are just tender. Adjust salt to taste. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.
Serve hot with crusty toasted baguettes or cheese rolls.
Note: This recipe is low cal and very healthy besides colorful.