Layered Chicken Caprese
- Yield 6 servings
- For the Aioli
- 1 cup good quality mayonaise
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1 -- garlic clove, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 6 -- chicken breasts, skinless & boneless, pounded until they are 1 inch thick
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons herbs de provence
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -- tomato, sliced thinly
- 1 large fresh mozarella ball, sliced thinly
- -- Basil leaves for garnish
To make the Aioli:
Put the mayonaise, basil and minced garlic in a blender. Pulse until mixture is blended. Slowly add the olive oil until desired consistency is achieved. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Thaw puff pastry for 30 minutes. Cut pastry into 9 pieces about 3" by 4". Place pastry pieces on a baking sheet. Brush each pastry with the melted butter.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Split pastries into 2 layers and set aside.
Combine the flour and herbs in a shallow bowl.
In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
Dip each chicken breast into the flour mixture and place into the pan. Fry on each side until chicken is a golden brown and is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
Remove chicken to platter.
To assemble the Chicken Napoleon:
Place the bottome of each pastry on a plate, then place the chicken, followed by 2 slices of tomato and 2 slices of fresh mozarella. Top with the top pastry. Drizzle the Basil Aioli over and garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.
Makes 6 servings