Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna
- Yield 12 servings
Roasted chicken and sauteed mushrooms are layered with lasagna noodles and a creamy white (bechamel) sauce.
- 4 -- split chicken breast with skin
- -- salt
- -- extra-virgin olive oil
- White sauce and vegetables:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- To assemble:
- 2 boxes oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 cup freshly ground Parmesan
- 2 cups shredded mozzerella
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place chicken breast on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on skin and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 45 minutes. Let cool. When cool, shred chicken from bones and skin. Set aside.
- For the white sauce, bring milk and chicken stock to a simmer in a saucepan. Set aside. Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter in a large saucepan. Add flour and cook 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour hot milk and chicken stock into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, 3 to 5 minutes, until thick. Remove from heat.
- Thinly slice mushrooms. Chop the onion. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan. When butter melts, add half the mushrooms and all of the onion. Sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat until mushrooms are tender. Stir to make sure the mushrooms and onions cook evenly. Add the remaining mushrooms and cook until tender.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the sauce in the bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, a layer of chicken, then 1/3 of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup grated Mozzerella, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Repeat twice, layering noodles, sauce, chicken, mushrooms, Mozzerella, Parmesan and parsley. Top with a final layer of noodles and sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining Mozzerella, Parmesan and parsley.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until top is browned and sauce is bubbly and hot. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.