Marinated Salsa Chicken
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or a combination of both), cut in 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced, divided use
- 6 -- green onions, chopped, divided use
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, divided use
- 8 ounces carton plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups cooked rice (preferably cooked in chicken broth)
- -- Cilantro sprigs, optional garnish
- -- Lime slices or wedges, optional garnish
Place the chicken in a zip-lock bag and set aside. Whisk cumin and coriander together in a small bowl and set aside. In a blender, add one tablespoon of spice mixture, lime juice, grated ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 green onions, 1/4 cup of the cilantro and all of the yogurt. Using a pulse, blend the ingredients until just mixed. Pour the yogurt marinade over chicken. Seal the bag, turning it several times to evenly distribute the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours. (Overnight is best.)
When ready to prepare the dish, pour chicken into a strainer; discard zip lock bag. In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon to a dish, set aside. Saute the onions and the remaining garlic in the skillet until soft. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook until brown in color. Do not burn. Whisk in chicken stock and cook until slightly thickened. Whisk in salsa, half and half, remaining spices and remaining cilantro until blended. Stir in chicken, and simmer until chicken is nicely heated.
To serve, spoon the rice onto the center of a large serving platter. Top with chicken mixture, then sprinkle with remaining green onions. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges or slices, or as desired.
Serves 4 to 6.