Fiery Chicken Meatball Torpedoes
- Yield servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 -- egg whites,slightly beaten
- 1 -- teaspoonsalt
- 1 teaspoon graulated onion
- 1 teaspoon blk.pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 2/3 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 28 ounces can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 12 ounces jar fire roasted red peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 6 -- 8 hoagie style french rolls
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- -- *1 2 tablespoon oil for greasing hands
Heat oven to 325*F
In a large bowl combine the ground chicken,egg whites,salt, granulated onion,pepper,basil,garlic and bread crumbs.Mix well making sure not to over handle meat.With greased hands roll meat mixture into 1-1/2 inch balls,place meatballs on a plate or cookie sheet.Chill for 20-30 minutes.
Add 1/4 cup canola oil to a nonstick skillet and bring to a medium heat.Cook meatballs on all sides until lightly browned. Place meatballs on a cookie sheet and place in a 325*F pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes.
In a large sauce pan heat crushed fire roasted tomatoes over medium heat.Place jarred roasted red peppers (with juice )in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.Add to sauce along with garlic salt,red pepper flakes and worchestershire sauce.Bring to a simmer. Add meatballs to sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
Wrap rolls in aluminum foil and heat in the oven (325*F) during the last 10 minutes that the meatballs are simmering.
If rolls are not pre- cut, slice through them lengthwise making sure not to cut all the way .Stuff each roll evenly with mozzarella cheese adding 3-5 meatballs per sandwich and top with extra sauce .
Makes 6 -8 sandwiches.