Chicken Marsala Burgers
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound ground chicken
- 2tablespoons onion, grated or finely chopped
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 2dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, for serving
- 4slices nitrate-free, uncured bacon
- 2cups white, cremini, or mini portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2cups Marsala wine
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4slices reduced-fat provolone or mozzarella
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Combine ingredients for the burgers (ground chicken through salt and pepper) in a medium bowl. Mix together until well combined and form into 4 equal sized patties. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the topping, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon to the pan and cook until bacon is brown and crisp. Remove bacon from the pan and place on a paper-towel lined plate; discard all but one tablespoon of the bacon drippings. When cool enough to handle, crumble bacon into bite size pieces. Add the mushrooms to the same pan and increase heat to medium-high. Cook the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
- To the mushrooms, add garlic and shallot; saute for 1 minute. Add the crumbled bacon back to the pan and add the tomato paste. Allow mixture to cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Off heat, add the Marsala wine; return heat to high heat and allow to simmer vigorously for about 5 minutes, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan. The sauce should thicken and be reduced to about 1 cup. Stir in the lemon juice. Keep the sauce warm over low heat until burgers are cooked.
- Grill the burgers until cooked through and no longer pink inside (160 degrees-about 4-5 minutes per side). Top each burger with a slice of cheese during the last few minutes of grilling. If desired, toast the burger buns on the grill until light golden.
- Place cooked burgers on the buns and spoon the Marsala wine topping over top. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Nicole is a Registered Dietitian who believes in balance: love what you eat and be what you eat to live a long, healthy life. Her cooking style focuses on disease prevention in otherwise healthy people, emphasizing balance, moderation of all nutrients, and plentiful in what we know to be good. By day, Nicole is the Director of Nutrition Services at a Michigan hospital and by night, she is a home cook, wife, and healthy food blogger.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 435
- Fat 10.5g
- Cholesterol 83 mg
- Sodium 790 mg
- Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Fiber 1.8 g
- Protein 37.3 g