Chicken Marengo – Low Salt
- Yield: 6 servings
Serve on a bed of spinach pasta and add a tossed salad for a tempting and nutritious meal.
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 8ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2cup marsala or dry white wine (regular or non-alcoholic)
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 to 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sprinkle the pepper over both sides of the chicken. Using your fingertips, gently press the pepper so it adheres to the chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken for 3 minutes on each side (the chicken won’t be done at this point). Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir together the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return the chicken to the skillet. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, covered, for 25 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from the American Heart Association’s Low Salt Cookbook, 4th Edition (Clarkson Potter, May 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 203
- Fat 3.0g
- Saturated Fat 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 66mg
- Sodium 85mg
- Potassium 599mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 6g
- Protein 28g
- Trans Fat 0g