Chicken Marengo with Mushrooms
- Yield 4 servings
This delicious chicken dish features fresh mushrooms and diced tomatoes.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 12 ounces (about 5 cups) fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups frozen pearl onion, thawed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dry white wine
- In a Dutch oven or skillet, heat oil over high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook until brown on both sides, turning once, about 3 minutes for each side. Remove chicken from pot. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic. Cook and stir until mushrooms are golden, about 10 minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Stir in thyme and pepper. Add tomatoes with juice from can; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over steamed rice, if desired.