Chicken la Verle
- Yield: 12 to 14 servings
- 4pounds chicken breasts
- 2-- (6-ounce) packages long grain and wild rice
- 3 or 4-- onions, chopped
- 16ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1cup butter
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 1-- (10-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1-- (10-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 16ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken with enough water to cover the stockpot. Cook until tender; drain. Shred the chicken. Prepare the rice using package directions using 1 of the seasoning packets. Saute the onions and mushrooms in butter in a skillet until tender. Stir in the milk and soup. Cook until of sauce consistency, stirring constantly. Add the rice, cheese, salt and pepper and mix well. Layer the chicken and cheese sauce alternately in a baking dish until all ingredients are used, ending with the cheese sauce. Bake at 300F to 350F until bubbly.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious; How to Cater Your Own Party (Decatur, Alabama, 1997).