Chicken Kofta on Couscous
- Yield: 4 servings
- Kofta Kabobs:
- 1 1/2pounds ground chicken
- 6tablespoons grated onion
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1-- egg, lightly beaten
- 6tablespoons dried seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/4teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 6tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, divided
- 2-- lemons, 1 zested and juiced
- 8-- metal skewers
- 3/4cup Greek yogurt
- 2tablespoons chopped mint
- 1-- scallion, green part only, chopped
- 2teaspoons honey
- 2teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Curried Couscous:
- 1cup couscous
- 1 1/2cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2teaspoons curry powder
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4cup chopped scallions
- 1/4cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, onion, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons salt, parsley, 3 tablespoons cilantro and 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon zest. Using your hands, mix well, incorporating the spices into the meat. Form into 8 balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
To make the cilantro mint yogurt sauce, combine the Greek yogurt, 3 tablespoons cilantro, mint, scallion, honey, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor or blender. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Moisten your hands with a small amount of water. Take each ball of meat and mold it around a skewer, forming a sausage-shaped kabob. Place the kabobs on a lined baking tray sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake kabobs 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally to brown all sides.
While the kabobs are cooking, put the couscous, chicken stock, curry powder, olive oil, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and take off the heat. Let rest for 5 minutes then remove cover and fluff with a fork. Add the scallions and almonds and stir to combine.
Serve kabobs on a bed of curried couscous. Drizzle some cilantro mint yogurt sauce on top and serve extra sauce in a bowl on the side. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and lemon wedges. This recipe makes 4 servings.