Chicken Jambalaya with Italian Sausage
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1-1/2pound chicken breast and thigh meat, boneless and skinless, cut into chunks
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4pound sweet Italian link sausage, sliced in ¼ inch rounds
- 2cups chopped onion
- 1cup chopped celery
- 1cup chopped green pepper
- 2teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 1/2cups chicken stock
- 1teaspoon purchased Cajun Seasoning Mix, or to taste
- 2cups long grain rice
- 1/2teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 1cup chopped green onions and/or tomatoes (optional)
- In large Dutch oven, warm oil. Add chicken and sauté over medium high heat until browned. Add sausage to pot; sauté with chicken. Remove both from pot.
- Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; sauté until tender, about 9-10 minutes. If making red jambalaya, add paprika. Return chicken and sausage to pot. Add stock (or stock and tomato juice, or Bloody Mary mix if making red jambalaya) and Cajun seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 25 minutes. After 10 minutes of cooking, remove cover and quickly turn rice from top to bottom completely. Continue cooking for remaining time. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add green onions and chopped tomatoes, if desired.