Chicken in Chile Sauce with Cashews
- Yield: 8 servings
Nirmala uses 1 tablespoon ground aji chile or cayenne pepper. Start with 1 teaspoon and work your way up to the desired degree of heat.
- 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2-- slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1teaspoon ground aji chile or cayenne pepper
- 1/2cup unsalted cashew nuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2cups evaporated milk
- 5tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 8small Peruvian blue or red bliss potatoes, boiled and cut into halves
- 3-- hard-cooked eggs, cut into halves lengthwise
- 1/2cup pitted black Kalamata olives
- -- Finely chopped fresh chives
- Cover chicken with 1-inch cold water in a medium saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cook until tender and thoroughly cooked, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Remove chicken breasts and let cool. Discard all but 1/2 cup cooking liquid. In a small bowl, soak bread in reserved liquid. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, paprika and aji chile. Cook until onions are soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add soaked bread. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon, breaking up bread, about 3 minutes.
- Add cashews, evaporated milk, grated cheese and shredded chicken. Continue cooking 5 minutes more, or until thoroughly heated. Transfer chicken mixture to the center of a large serving platter. Arrange potatoes around outer edge of platter. Top with hard-cooked egg halves and olives. Garnish with chopped chives.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Nirmala Narine's In Nirmala's Kitchen: Everyday World Cuisine (Lake Isle Press, 2006).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 402
- Fat 19
- Cholesterol 169mg
- Sodium 534mg
- Carbohydrate 22g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 34g