- Yield 12 servings
This attractive chicken and spinach casserole has a light lemon flavor.
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- 1 cup canned fat-free chicken broth
- 8 ounces wide noodles
- 2 cups nonfat sour cream
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 (8-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 whole chickens, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds each, cooked, skinned, deboned and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Cook spinach according to package directions, omitting any salt.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pot, blend flour, milk, and chicken broth. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until thickened.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain. Add noodles, sour cream, lemon juice, cooked spinach, mushrooms, water chestnuts, pimiento, onion, cayenne pepper, paprika, and salt and pepper to the thickening broth.
- In a 3-quart oblong baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, alternate layers of noodle mixture and chicken. Top with cheese and bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly.