Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 45 mins
Turn the Mexican favorite into a layered chicken casserole.
You can improvise on this chicken filling about any way you like. Add bell peppers and jalapenos, use canned tomatoes, or add cilantro. Use leftover rotisserie chicken if you have it on hand.
- Chicken Filling:
- 6 -- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 -- tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 cup California Ripe Olives, sliced
- 1 -- (7-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 2 -- eggs
- 6 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 -- green onions
- 6 -- corn tortillas
- To prepare filling, combine chicken, garlic, tomatoes, onions, cayenne pepper and beer in a large nonstick skillet. Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked and liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in olives and chilies. Set aside.
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, cumin, white pepper and coriander. Cook, whisking well, until thick and bubbly. Add milk, whisking constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Whisk in eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare casserole, blend together shredded cheeses and set aside. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of 2-quart soufflé dish. Top with 2 tortillas, cutting to fit in one even layer. Spoon one-third of the chicken mixture over tortillas. Top with one-third of the remaining sauce, one-third of the cheese and one-third of the green onions. Repeat layers twice with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and green onions. Cover with foil and bake 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve with salsa and sour cream.