- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
According to Arthur Schwartz, the recipe for this dish probably originated in the 1930s at Divan Parisien on East 45th Street. Schwartz's adaptation uses both white and dark meat.
- 1 (4-5 pound) chicken
- 1tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2tablespoons salt
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3tablespoons flour
- 2cups milk
- 1/2teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3tablespoons sherry
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1large bunch broccoli, tops only, cut or broken into very small florets
- 1cup grated Parmesan cheese, approximately
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2cup heavy cream, whipped
- Place chicken in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Add peppercorns and salt. Cover, place over high heat, and bring water to a boil. As soon as the pot boils, turn off the heat and let stand for 3 hours. Uncover the pot. Remove the chicken. Reserve broth for another use. (It may be kept for several days in the refrigerator, or for several months in the freezer.)
- Meanwhile, make a white sauce: In a small to medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk. Let bubble for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the bubbling stop. Beat in milk all at once. Return pot to heat and, stirring constantly with the whisk, bring mixture to a boil, at which point it should be thickened and smooth. Stir in nutmeg, sherry and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer another minute. Stir in lemon juice. Cover and keep hot over very low heat.
- Remove the skin of the chicken and carve the breast, leg and thigh meat into neat slices. Whatever you cannot slice neatly, save for another purpose.
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Cook broccoli until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain broccoli in a colander and then arrange it in one layer in a deep heatproof serving platter or in a shallow casserole or gratin dish.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Sprinkle broccoli with about half the grated cheese. Arrange chicken meat on top of the broccoli.
- Whisk egg yolks into the white sauce. Fold in whipped cream. Pour sauce over chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Place in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes, to heat through.
- For a final glazing, place the casserole about 5 inches below the broiler heat source, and cook until tinged with brown, about 3 minutes.
From Arthur Schwartz’ New York City Food (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2004, www.stcbooks.com).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 400
- Fat 26g
- Saturated Fat 12g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 160mg
- Sodium 2060mg
- Potassium 550mg
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 30g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 25%
- Vitamin C 120%
- Calcium 25%
- Iron 10%