Chicken Chipotle Burritos
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1pound lean ground chicken
- 1/2cup diced onion
- 1/2teaspoon each dried oregano, ground coriander seed, ground cumin, garlic powder, chipotle chile pepper, and salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-- 16 ounce can chili beans (pinto beans in mild sauce), drained, but not rinsed
- 2cups mild chunky salsa, divided
- 8-- flour tortillas (8 to 9 inches in diameter)
- 2cups grated pepper jack cheese (8 ounces)
- 1-- 8 ounce container sour cream
- 3cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1cup diced roma tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet (12 inch size) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, onion, and spices (dried oregano, ground coriander seed, ground cumin, garlic powder, chipotle chile pepper, salt and black pepper). Cook, stirring and crumbling the chicken, until the meat is cooked through and the onions are tender, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the black beans, the chili beans, and 3/4 cup of the salsa to the cooked chicken; stir to combine. Cover the skillet with a lid, reduce the heat to medium, and allow to heat through (approximately 3 to 4 minutes). [Note: set aside the remaining 1 1/4 cup salsa for topping the burritos after baking].
4. Meanwhile, using a pastry brush, lightly brush the bottom and sides of a 13"x9" baking dish (ceramic or glass) with approximately 1 teaspoon olive oil.
5. To assemble, spoon approximately 3/4 cup of the chicken/bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top filling with cheese. Fold each tortilla in half (like a taco) and then roll up each tortilla (like a cigar). Place tortillas, seam side down, in prepared pan. Lightly brush the tops of the tortillas with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil.
6. Bake uncovered for 23 to 28 minutes, until the tortillas are crisp and golden brown.
7. Serve burritos on a bed of shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes. Top each burrito with approximately 2 tablespoons salsa (more if desired) and 2 tablespoons sour cream.