- Yield 10 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Rotisserie chicken and canned garbanzo beans make this hearty chili an easy meal.
This is a perfect follow-up to a dinner of rotisserie chicken. Make the chicken stock from the chicken bones, and toss the leftover chicken in the chili. Barley gives it lots of fiber. Look for bags of it next to the rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white part only) or onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 (16-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2/3 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons pickled jalapeno
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 to 8 cups chopped kale (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Sour cream
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add cumin, cumin seed and turkey sausage.
- Cook until sausage is browned. Add chopped chicken, barley, beans, jalapeño, broth and kale, if desired.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes or until barley is cooked. Serve topped with cheese and green onions.