Chicken Chile Mac-n-Cheese
- Yield 8 servings
Creamy macaroni and cheese gets a boost from Anaheim chiles, chicken and olives.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Anaheim chile pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (1-pound) box macaroni pasta, cooked
- 8 ounces diced grilled chicken breast
- 2 (6-ounce) can California Black Ripe Olives
- 1/2 cup Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted and foamy. Stir in peppers and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes until smooth and golden. Whisk in chicken broth, a half cup at a time, until smooth and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in cheese and remove from heat. Add pasta, chicken and olives and pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs, sprinkle with paprika and bake in a 400F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of the California Olive Committee