Baked Chicken Parmigiano
- Yield servings
- For Chicken Cutlets:
- 6 -- chicken cutlets (or 6 chicken breasts, pounded thin)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs, beaten, mixed with 2 tablespoons milk)
- 6 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- -- cooking spray
- For Broccolini:
- 2 bunches broccolini
- 2 -- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup vermouth
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- For Sauce:
- 8 ounces turkey bacon, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup fat free half & half (or light cream)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, or to taste)
- For garnish:
- -- julienned basil, optional
- -- shredded parmesan cheese, optional
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Pour the flour and egg substitute into their own, separate pie pan or shallow bowl. In a third container, combine the cheese, bread crumbs, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour. Dip them into the egg. Dredge them in the bread crumb mixture.
Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Cook two chicken breasts at a time, aprox. 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly brown. Place on large baking sheet and place in oven to cook through and stay warm while the sauce and vegetable is prepared.
Prepare the Broccolini:
Heat the same saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and garlic, and saute for 1 minute, until garlic is lightly caramelized. Rinse brocolini but do not dry – add to pan. Stir to coat with olive oil. Turn heat to medium, and add 1/4 cup vermouth. Cover for 1 minute.
Take pan off of heat, and pour broccolini into small ovenproof bowl or casserole. Add chicken broth, cover, and place in oven.
Heat the same pan over medium heat. Add the turkey bacon and olive oil. Saute for 3 minutes, until bacon is nicely browned. Sprinkle flour into pan, and stir to combine with oil. Cook roux for about 1 minute, until it darkens slightly. Add half and half, and stir to incorporate all the flour. Add the chicken broth and stir until sauce thickens slightly. Add remaining ingredients. Add more chicken broth if necessary to thin sauce to taste.
To serve, place chicken cutlets and broccolini on dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with extra cheese and basil, if desired. Enjoy!