Chicken and Bread Salad with Garlic Dressing
- Yield servings
- 7 cups bakery Italian bread, cubed (1" cubes)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite sized strips
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon (or regular) thyme leaves
- 1 cup (loosely packed) basil leaves, cut in think strips
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
Place bread cubes on a baking pan, and place in a 350 degree oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reserve.
Place 6 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic, an cook until pale gold, about 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add paprika, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
In a large bowl, add bread cubes and diced tomatoes. Pour half the garlic mixture over, and toss. Pour remaining dressing into a small container until needed.
Place remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil back in the skillet, and heat on medium high setting. Add chicken, and saute until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Add remaining garlic mixture, and simmer 1 minute more.
Add chicken, thyme leaves, basil, and mozzarella to the bread mixture, and toss to coat. Serve immediately.