Chicken Salad Vietnamese Style
- Yield servings
- Ginger Lime Marinade
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili garlic sauce
- Chicken and Salad
- 4 -- (5 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup coarsely shredded or matchstick pieces carrots
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, each halved
- 1/2 -- English cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 8 -- inch thick) slices French bread
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
In small bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients.
For chicken, pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to an
even thickness. Place chicken in sealable plastic storage bag.
Add 1/3 cup of marinade; seal top and turn bag to coat. Marinate
for 30 minutes.
Heat stovetop ridged grill pan over medium heat or preheat
broiler. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Grill or broil on
rack of broiler pan for 5 minutes per side or until cooked
through. Remove to cutting board and allow to rest 5 minutes.
Meanwhile for dressing, whisk 3 tablespoons oil and mustard into
marinade remaining in bowl. Combine greens, carrots, tomatoes,
cucumber, radishes, cilantro and basil in large bowl. Add half
of dressing and toss to coat.
Toast bread; spread mayonnaise over top of bread slices. Slice
chicken and arrange over bread. Arrange salad and chicken toasts
on platter; drizzle with remaining dressing. Garnish with
additional chopped cilantro and basil, if desired. Makes 4
Note: This salad was inspired by the classic Vietnamese Banh Mi
sandwich. For this chicken version, the sandwich is served open-
faced for a beautiful presentation. The salad is on the side, so
there are a lot more veggies per serving. To save time, one
mixture is used for both the chicken marinade and salad dressing.