Chicken Baked with Pumpkin and Peanuts
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 60 mins
Pumpkin or butternut squash is cubed and cooked with savory baked chicken pieces.
- 4 pounds chicken pieces, both white and dark parts
- 2 large onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 -- pie pumpkin or butternut squash, about 2 pounds, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, very hot
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, place onions and pumpkin (or squash). In a medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, half of the salt and half of the cayenne pepper. Gradually stir in hot chicken broth, melting the peanut butter. Stir in half of the lemon juice. Pour over the pumpkin and onions.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Sprinkle black pepper over chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour, until pumpkin is tender and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Sprinkle with peanuts.