Chicken Apple Sausage Fried Rice
- Yield: 4 servings
Chicken sausages are a terrific way to jumpstart dinner. Leftover rice from the fridge is another way. Marry the two, and you’re halfway to a fresh, homemade, veggie-filled dish.
- 2tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 2teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- 2tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 6ounces fully-cooked chicken-apple sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4teaspoon five spice powder
- 3/4cup finely chopped onion
- 1tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 1/2cups cold, cooked jasmine rice
- 1cup mung bean sprouts
- 3/4cup shredded carrots
- 3/4cup frozen peas
- 1/2cup minced green onions
- Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook until softly scrambled. Transfer to a plate and gently break into small pieces. Wipe pan clean.
- Add 2 teaspoons peanut oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, undisturbed, until seared, about 2 minutes. Add five-spice powder and stir-fry 1 minute more. Transfer to the plate with eggs.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan. Add onion and stir-fry 1 minute. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add rice and stir-fry 2 minutes. Return sausage and egg to pan with bean sprouts, carrots, peas, green onions and oyster sauce mixture. Toss gently until thoroughly heated. Drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
—Recipe by Laraine Perri for Relish.com, May 2011.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 664
- Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 139mg
- Sodium 1056mg
- Carbohydrate 106g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 22g