Low-Fat Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
This one-dish meal has a fancy touch with the mushrooms, artichokes and sherry.
- 2 (6-ounce) packages long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry sherry, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cook the wild rice according to package directions, omitting any salt and oil. Spoon the cooked wild rice into a 2-quart oblong baking dish; set aside. Sprinkle paprika and pepper over the chicken; set aside. Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Cook chicken over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Arrange the chicken on top of the rice. Top with artichoke hearts, set aside. Add the mushrooms to the same skillet and saute over a medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the flour with the rosemary and gradually add the chicken broth and sherry, if using. Add this mixture to the skillet; cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly, or until thickened and bubbly. Spoon over the chicken. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until chicken is done.
Note: Consider omitting the spice packet from the rice mixes and season to taste to lower sodium.