Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya for the Slow Cooker
- Yield 12 servings
Chop all the ingredients, freeze, then pull out for an easy slow-cooker meal. Toss in peeled and deveined shrimp 10 minutes before you serve it if you like.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, roughly chopped
- 1 -- (16-ounce) package smoked sausage or kielbasa, roughly chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 -- green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -- red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Toney Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- -- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- To prepare for the freezer: Place chicken and sausage in a large freezer bag. Place remaining ingredients, except rice and parsley, in another large bag. Place rice and a copy of this recipe in a small plastic bag. Label bags and tape together. Place in freezer.
- To cook: Remove bags from freezer and let thaw about 30 minutes. Empty the 2 large bags into a 6-quart slow cooker; cover and cook on LOW 8 hours. Add rice during the last hour of cooking. Spoon into bowls and top with fresh parsley, if using. Makes 5 quarts.