Chicken, Ham and Sausage Gumbo
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
A warm and hearty gumbo to warm you from the inside out.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 -- ham steak, cut into cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage or andouille, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped tasso (optional)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 -- ribs celery, chopped
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 quarts hot water
- 1 -- (3- to 4-pound) chicken or roasting hen
- 2 -- chicken bouillon cubes
- -- Red pepper to taste
- -- Black pepper to taste
- -- White pepper to taste
- -- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons file powder
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- -- Hot cooked rice
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven. Add the ham, sausage, tasso, onions, celery, garlic and parsley. Saute for 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Add 1/4 cup oil and flour to the pan drippings. Cook until dark brown, stirring constantly. Whisk in the hot water gradually. Add the chicken, bouillon cubes, red pepper, black pepper, white pepper, salt, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces, discarding the skin and bones.
- Remove the gumbo from the heat. Stir in the chicken, sausage mixture, file powder and green onions. Remove the bay leaf. Serve over rice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Alexandria’s Secret Ingredients (The Junior League of Alexandria, Louisiana, Inc., 2000).