Chicken and Dumplings with Mushroom Soup
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
If the soup needs thickening, put a little soup in a bowl and mix with a tablespoon or two of flour; then return to the pot.
- 2 1/2pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into small serving pieces
- 3quarts water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (10-ounce) cans reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 1/2cups self-rising flour
- 3/4cup skim milk
- Place chicken in a large pot with water, salt and pepper, cream of mushroom soup, bouillon cubes, flour, celery, and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. In a small bowl, combine the flour and milk with a fork. Add more milk if necessary to make the dough the right consistency. Turn onto a floured surface and roll the dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into thin strips and drop into the broth one at a time. You should have 30 to 36 dumplings. Remove celery and onion. Cook 10 minutes on medium heat.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 257
- Fat 4.6g
- Saturated Fat 1.3g
- Cholesterol 73mg
- Sodium 1281mg