Chicken and Citrus Slaw Tostadas
- Yield 6 servings
Crunchy cabbage slaw is tossed with a spicy dressing, featuring tofu stands instead of mayonnaise, providing creaminess without the fat.
This recipe calls for roasted, shredded chicken meat, but it’s also delicious with grilled chicken breasts or thighs that are sliced on the bias.
- 3 ounces silken firm tofu, cut into 1-inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small green cabbage, finely shredded (3 cups)
- 1/2 small red cabbage, finely shredded (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 1/2 cups shredded roast chicken (from 1 medium roast chicken, skin removed)
- To prepare the slaw, combine the tofu with the lime juice, vinegar, honey, mustard and chipotle in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Add the remaining 1/4 cup oil in a thin stream and process until creamy. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the orange and lime zest, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the cabbages, onion, carrot and cilantro. Add all but 3 tablespoons of the dressing and toss.
- To prepare tostados, heat ¼ cup oil in a small skillet over moderate heat. Add 1 tortilla and fry until golden and crisp, turning once, about 2 minutes. Transfer the tostada to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining tortillas
- To assemble tostadas, place tortillas on plates and mound the slaw on top. Add the chicken to the bowl, toss with the reserved 3 tablespoons of dressing and mound on the slaw. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Recipe by Chef Paul Disbrowe, courtesy of The Soyfoods Council