Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Yield: 4 servings
- 6cups bite-size broccoli florets and stems peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2cups (6 ounces) cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/4cup diced, drained jarred roasted red pepper, patted dry
- 3tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 1cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425F. Coat a 10-inch round gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Steam broccoli in steamer rack over boiling water 4 minutes or until bright green and tender. Arrange broccoli in gratin dish and top with chicken and red pepper.
- In medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour , cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add milk and broth; cook, whisking almost constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat so mixture bubbles gently; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Pour over gratin.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining 2 teaspoons butter; add bread crumbs and mix to combine. Sprinkle over gratin. Bake 10 minutes or until bubbling hot.
Recipe by Jean Kressy
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 439
- Fat 25g
- Cholesterol 110mg
- Sodium 876mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 32g