Chicken and Asparagus in Wine Sauce
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound fresh asparagus
- 2-- chicken breasts, split, skinned, boned, cooked and cut into pieces
- 2tablespoons butter
- 3tablespoons flour
- 1/2cup white wine
- 1/2 to 1cup chicken broth
- 4tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese (divided use)
- 1cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2cup Cheddar or Swiss cheese (optional)
- -- Cooked brown rice or fettuccine
- Parboil asparagus. Drain and place in a shallow baking dish. Arrange chicken pieces over asparagus. Melt butter in skillet and slowly stir in flour, wine and chicken broth. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, and Cheddar or Swiss cheese if desired. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Pour over chicken and asparagus. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve over brown rice or fettuccine.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League Springfield Publication’s Honest to Goodness(Springfield, Illinois, 1990).