Beer Chicken in Fry Bread
- Yield servings
Garlic and chicken fill these chicken tacos made with Indian Fry Bread.
- 6 -- boneless skinless chicken breast pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1 cup dark beer/ale (divided)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 bunches green onions (scallions), tips cut off
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 6 large pieces Flat Indian Fry bread
- Sauce /Topping:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (green only)
- 1 -- chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Place chicken in a glass baking dish. Sprinkle the chicken with red pepper flakes, ground cumin, celery salt and cracked black pepper. Gently brush the apple jelly over the chicken breast being careful not to brush off the seasonings. Pour the 1/2 cup of the beer gently over the chicken. Wrap the dish in plastic wrap and allow chicken to marinate in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare large grill pan or skillet by melting 1 tablespoon oil and the butter over medium-high heat. Brush the scallions and tomatoes with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place the chicken and the green onions (tips cut off but whole) in skillet. Cook the onions until they are browned but not charred, and continue to cook the chicken until done (about 15-18 minutes turning once for the chicken). When chicken is almost done place the tomatoes on to pan surface to brown slightly. Remove the onions and tomatoes from the pan onto a warming plate. During the last couple minutes of cooking the chicken, pour the remaining 1/2 cup of beer in to skillet to deglaze the pan scraping the bits off bottom of pan.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and let it rest a few minutes before slicing. While chicken is resting, prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients for sauce in a small glass bowl using a rubber spatula to keep from crushing the herbs. (You will use the onions you cooked in the skillet. Cut the 1/4 cup grilled onions—greens only—into sauce with shears).
- To assemble, let each person squeeze the garlic paste out of the heads of garlic (which you have roasted) onto their own piece of Indian Fry bread and spread. Slice the chicken in 1/2-inch strips and lay the strips over the garlic spread. Layer some tomato and remaining green onion over the chicken and spoon the sauce over the top of your fun chicken creation. Pull the sides of the bread together to form a wrap around the chicken as you would a soft taco or gyro and dig in.